Web Analytics

Ricky Ponting predicts highest run-scorer, wicket-taker for T20 World Cup 2024

More articles

Legendary Australian captain Ricky Ponting has unveiled his predictions for the highest run-scorer and the top wicket-taker for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, starting from June 1.

Ponting predicted that Indian pace bowler Jasprit Bumrah would be the leading wicket-taker at the mega-event. Meanwhile, for the highest run-getter, Ponting picked Australian top-order batter Travis Head.

The former captain appreciated Bumrah’s ability to swing the ball as well as his impressive economy. Bumrah claimed 20 wickets in 13 games at an economy of 6.48 during the recently concluded IPL.

“My leading wicket-taker for the tournament will be Jasprit Bumrah. I just think an outstanding performer, and contributor for a number of years now. He’s just come off an outstanding IPL,” Ponting told The ICC Review.

“What he can do with the new ball, he swings the new ball, he has the seam up. But at the end, his economy rate at the end of the IPL was less than seven runs an over.

Follow us on our Official WhatsApp channel

“He takes wickets. He does bowl a lot of the hard overs too. When you bowl the hard overs in T20 cricket, it gives you a chance to pick up a lot of wickets along the way. So, I’m going with him.”

Ricky Ponting then praised Head for his batting prowess across formats in the last two years. Head scored crucial centuries in the finals of the ICC World Test Championship and ICC ODI World Cup 2023.

“My prediction for the leading run-scorer will be Travis Head. I just think everything he’s done, whether it be red-ball or white-ball in the last couple of years, has been of the highest quality. I think he’s playing fearless cricket at the moment,” Ponting said.

“His IPL had its ups and downs, but when it’s been good, it’s been very good. And it has won games of cricket for his team,” Ponting noted.

“And it’ll be exactly the same for Australia. So, look, he might not be the most consistent on the way through this tournament, but he’ll be right up there, I’m sure, with the leading run scorers. And as I’ve said, if he spends any amount of time at the wicket for Australia, he’ll win more games than ever.”

READ: Pakistan improve T20I ranking ahead of T20 World Cup 2024

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories