Web Analytics

Anrich Nortje defends New York pitch after low-scoring game against Sri Lanka

More articles

NEW YORK: Fast bowler Anrich Nortje has defended the drop-in pitch used here for the low-scoring T20 World Cup 2024 match between South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Nortje bowled a brilliant spell, returning with figures of 4-7 in his four overs as South Africa booked Sri Lanka for a meagre 77.

In response, South Africa also struggled as they chased the paltry target in 16.2 overs after losing four wickets.

This was the first-ever match at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York and the conditions came under criticism due to an uneven pitch and slow outfield.

However, Nortje rejected the assertion that the match was a poor representation of T20 cricket, arguing that not every game needs to feature 20 sixes to be entertaining.

Follow us on our Official WhatsApp channel

“I thought the game was great,” Nortje said. “It doesn’t always mean, correct me if I’m wrong, there needs to be 20 sixes in a game to make it entertaining.

“There’s still a lot of strategy that goes into the game. There’s a lot of skill that goes into the game, whether it’s sixes or fast bowlers or spinners, however, it might be. So, I thought the game was a brilliant game.

“It was still a close game at the end of the day, another wicket or two, and things might have been different. We might have been in a little bit more trouble.”

The pacer also acknowledged that the pitch was different from what players nowadays are accustomed to.

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the wickets,” he said. “It’s [allowed to be] nice for bowlers as well. We are also allowed to get some sort of assistance

“It’s different to what guys have been used to for the last few months or years. There’s a little bit more in the wicket for the bowlers and I don’t see anything wrong with that.”

READ: Novak Djokovic unsure about playing French Open quarter-final

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories