Advertisement
Advertisement

MADRID: Jose Mourinho has agreed to return to Real Madrid on a two-year contract, sources told ESPN, with the veteran manager set for a second spell at the Santiago Bernabeu.
The 63-year-old is expected to replace Alvaro Arbeloa, who took charge earlier this year following the departure of Xabi Alonso.
Sources revealed that Mourinho’s agreement with Madrid has been reached verbally, although the contract has not yet been formally signed.
Mourinho is currently in charge of Benfica, where he guided the club through an unbeaten domestic league campaign this season. Despite the strong run, Benfica narrowly missed out on the Portuguese league title.
According to reports, the Portuguese club are set to receive around €7 million in compensation as Mourinho still has a contract running until 2027.
Real Madrid had reportedly considered several high-profile candidates for the managerial role, including Jurgen Klopp, Didier Deschamps and Mauricio Pochettino.
However, club president Florentino Perez is understood to have backed Mourinho as the ideal figure to revive Madrid after two disappointing seasons without a major trophy.
Madrid currently trail champions Barcelona by 11 points in La Liga with one match remaining, while their UEFA Champions League campaign ended in the quarter-finals against Bayern Munich.
Mourinho previously managed Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, winning one La Liga title, one Copa del Rey and one Supercopa de España during a fiercely competitive era dominated by Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona.
Since leaving Madrid in 2013, Mourinho has managed Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Roma, Fenerbahçe and Benfica.
Mourinho himself hinted at an imminent decision regarding his future after Benfica’s season concluded.
“My future should be decided this week,” Mourinho said on Sunday, while confirming that his agent Jorge Mendes had been in contact with Real Madrid officials.