Advertisement
Advertisement

England captain Harry Brook has responded to mounting speculation that Pakistan players could be overlooked in the upcoming edition of The Hundred, saying it would be “a shame” if the tournament misses out on their presence.
Reports in English media have suggested that franchises with Indian Premier League (IPL)-linked ownership may refrain from picking Pakistan cricketers at next month’s auction.
While the development has triggered debate across the cricketing world, Brook made it clear that England’s focus lies elsewhere.
“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” Brook said in a recent interview.
Even so, the England skipper did not shy away from acknowledging Pakistan’s stature in the game. He described the country as one of cricket’s most influential forces and stressed that the global circuit benefits from their involvement.
“Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years. I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” he remarked.
Harry Brook further underlined the broader impact Pakistani players bring to franchise tournaments, not just through skill, but through fan engagement and atmosphere.
“There’s some amazing cricketers and they bring some great crowds as well. It would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better,” he added.
The speculation stems from reports indicating that four franchises, Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds, all partially owned by IPL-linked investors, could bypass Pakistan players in the men’s auction scheduled for March 12 in London, following the women’s auction on March 11.
According to the reports, a senior England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) official informed an agent that interest in Pakistan players would likely be limited to franchises not associated with IPL ownership.
Another agent reportedly described the situation as an “unwritten rule” in leagues influenced by IPL investments.
The claims appear to contradict assurances previously made by ECB Chief Executive Richard Gould, who had stated that Pakistani players would not face restrictions in England’s 100-ball competition.
“We are aware of the challenges Pakistani players face in other regions, but that won’t be happening here,” Gould had said last year, reaffirming the board’s commitment to inclusivity.
Pakistan cricketers have not featured in the IPL since 2008 and have also had limited opportunities in other IPL-linked leagues such as SA20, ILT20 and Major League Cricket (MLC).