Athapaththu-inspired Falcons thump Barmy Army to set up final clash with Warriors

KOWLOON: Chamari Athapaththu’s magnificent 78-run knock powered Falcons Women to thrash Barmy Army by six wickets and booked her side’s final clash with Warriors Women.

Put into bat first, Falcons’ bowlers did a great job in restricting Barmy Army to 158/8 despite Fatima Sana’s brisk 45-run knock.

Barmy Army had a dismal start to their innings as they lost two quick wickets for just one run as both their openers Lauren Winfield-Hill and Laura Wolvaardt bagged ducks.

Nigar Sultana and Deandra Dottin then looked to anchor the innings and put on a 23-run partnership before the former perished after scoring an 11-ball nine.

Dottin and Kavisha Egodage (17) then joined hands to further stabilize Barmy Army innings as the pair raised 46 runs for the fourth wicket before the latter perished in the 10th over.

Dottin followed Egodage and also walked back to the pavilion in the next over. She scored a brilliant 29-ball 42, which featured four boundaries and three sixes.

Fatima’s quickfire 45-run knock at the backend then bolstered Barmy Army to a rather decent total in their allotted 20 overs. She top-scored for Barmy Army with 45 off 30 deliveries, laced up with six boundaries and a six.

Marizanne Kapp and Mariko Hill picked up three wickets each for the Falcons while Athapaththu and Sornnarin Tippoch made one scalp each.

The Falcons then comfortably chased down the total in the 18th over with six wickets to spare, thanks to a top knock by their opener Athapaththu.

She batted for almost 15 overs and left her side in complete command before walking back to the dugout after top-scoring for the Falcons with a 50-ball 78, hitting eight boundaries and five sixes.

Following her dismissal, it was an easy affair for Kapp (23*) and Hill (19*) to steer their side over the line and into the final.

Rubina Chhetry led Barmy Army’s bowling attack with two scalps while Laura Cardoso and Fatima struck out a batter each.

READ: Bowlers-led Warriors breeze past Spirit to seal final berth