
Australian cricket great David Warner was fined and ordered to use a vehicle breathalyser lock on Tuesday after admitting to drink driving.
Warner, a world-renowned former opening batsman for Australia, pleaded guilty last month to a “middle range” drink-driving offence.
The 39-year-old was accused of stopping short of a random testing site while driving a van in April, before being breath-tested, arrested and taken to a police station.
Judge Clare Farnan formally convicted Warner of the crime and fined him Aus$1,500, according to a court record of the sentencing at Sydney’s Waverley Local Court.
He was also ordered to hold an “interlock” licence for 12 months — meaning he must use a breathalyser device that prevents a vehicle from being used if it detects alcohol on the driver’s breath.
Defence lawyer Awais Ahmad said Warner’s decision to drive showed “impaired, impulsive and frankly foolish decision-making”, according to Australian public broadcaster ABC.
But he said Warner had undertaken a traffic offender’s programme and taken responsibility for his actions.
Follow us on our Official WhatsApp channel
Ahmad also pointed to negative media coverage of the case, including personal attacks, and predicted it would continue.
“He will be publicly denounced,” he said.
Police reportedly said Warner drank three glasses of wine before getting behind the wheel to drive to his family home.
The judge said one poor decision could have serious consequences on the road, according to the ABC.
“Thankfully, on this occasion that decision did not have consequences for other people, but I accept it did have consequences for Mr Warner,” she said.
Warner left the court without speaking to reporters, according to AFP journalists there.
READ: Harry Kane opens up on Bayern Munich contract extension




