Algerian boxer Imane Khelif marches into Paris Olympics final

Algerian boxer Imane Khelif, who was embroiled in a major gender controversy at the Paris Olympics, won her semi-final on Tuesday to guarantee at least a silver medal in front of a raucous Roland Garros crowd that chanted her name.

Imane Khelif defeated Thailand’s 2023 world silver medallist Janjaem Suwannapheng in a unanimous points decision to march into Friday’s final in the women’s 66kg category.

“I am like all athletes, I am here to achieve my dream,” the Algerian boxer told AFP afterwards.

Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting, the other boxer in the eye of a storm over her eligibility, is herself sure to take home at least bronze at a different weight.

The 25-year-old Khelif and Lin both fought at the Tokyo Olympics three years ago but there was no controversy at the time and neither won a medal.

Both were disqualified from last year’s world championships after failing gender eligibility tests but were cleared to compete in Paris.

Khelif was given the biggest roar of the night as she entered the arena at Roland Garros, usually home to Grand Slam tennis but hosting Olympic boxing and a sizeable number of Algerian fans with flags.

Cries of “Imane, Imane” rang out repeatedly before and during the bout.

Follow us on our Official WhatsApp channel

The Thai Janjaem, who had a clear height disadvantage, took a standing count in the third round after feeling the full power of the superior Algerian.

At the end of the fight at the 15,000-seated Court Philippe-Chatrier, which was close to capacity, the two fighters greeted each other warmly and shook hands.

She faces Yang Liu for gold after the Chinese boxer beat Taiwan’s Chen Nien-chin in the other semi-final on points.

“I am focusing on the competition and other things are not important. The important thing is that I am in the final now,” Khelif told BeIN Sports.

“I am very proud of this new achievement. I gave everything I had. We worked as a team for years and the dream has become a reality.”

The beaten Thai moved to play down the furore. “I had heard about the news regarding her, but I wasn’t following it closely,” she said. “She is a woman, but she is very strong.”

For the unversed, the gender controversy ignited when Khelif defeated Angela Carini in 46 seconds in her opening bout in the French capital, the Italian reduced to tears and abandoning the fight after suffering a badly hurt nose.

The 2023 world championships, from which Lin and Khelif were expelled, were run by the International Boxing Association (IBA) but the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is organising the sport at the Games because of financial, governance and ethical concerns at the IBA.

READ: Saud Shakeel to lead Pakistan Shaheens against Bangladesh A

AFP

Recent Posts

Saud Shakeel reveals his vision if he becomes PCB chairman

KARACHI: Pakistan Test vice-captain Saud Shakeel has expressed his thoughts over the Pakistan Cricket Board's…

5 hours ago

Pakistan team set for Thailand clash in Women’s World Cup Qualifier warm-up

LAHORE: The warm-up matches for the highly anticipated ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier will…

7 hours ago

Peshawar Zalmi add Luke Wood to PSL 10 squad

Luke Wood, the England fast bowler, has been included in the Peshawar Zalmi squad for…

8 hours ago

ICC reveals match officials for Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier

DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Thursday announced match officials for the Women's Cricket…

9 hours ago

Former Test cricketer Farooq Hameed passes away

LAHORE: Former Test fast bowler Farooq Hameed, who made his debut for Pakistan in 1964…

10 hours ago

Mohsin Naqvi takes charge as Asian Cricket Council President

DUBAI: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Mohsin Naqvi has officially assumed charge as the new…

11 hours ago